Contact Battery World, the Battery Experts, for your Motorcycle Batteries.
The motorcycle battery is a crucial component of what we call the bike’s triangle of power. The triangle of power consists of the starter motor, alternator and the battery itself. If any of these components are not performing to specification your bike will not start.
Functions of a motorcycle battery
– Starting – Supplying power when cranking the engine.
– Lighting – Delivering steady power before engine start.
– Ignition – Supplying power to the ignition system during engine cranking.
– Charging – Operating as a voltage stabiliser to absorb fluctuations in the electrical systems.
– System Support – Supporting security systems and ECU memories whilst the ignition is switched off
As most motorcycle batteries are of the dry charge variety, they contain no electrolyte when purchased. This means that prior to installation they have to be commissioned before they are able to perform in service. It is critical that the commissioning procedure is followed correctly, otherwise the battery’s performance and life will be compromised.
Common mistakes with commissioning include:
– Not following the correct electrolyte filling procedure. Forcing electrolyte into the battery, rather than allowing it to flow naturally, can in extreme cases cause internal damage and premature failure
– Not allowing enough time for the electrolyte to be fully absorbed. The battery must be left to stand for at least two hours once the battery has been filled.
– Not top charging prior to installation. Due to the manufacturing process, motorcycle batteries will not be in a fully charged state prior to commissioning so will require a top charge before installation. Check your battery’s instructions for the recommended minimum charge time.
TYPES OF MOTORCYCLE BATTERIES
High Performance Maintenance Free
High Performance Maintenance Free batteries means more power, less maintenance and longer life. This will be your best best choice for motorcycles, utility vehicles, scooters, ATVs, riding mowers, personal watercraft and snowmobiles.
VRLA (Valve Regulated Lead Acid) means a battery that’s perfect for people who have better things to do than battery maintenance! Our permanently sealed VRLA battery never needs refilling; however, it still needs periodic charging. Ideal for motorcycles, scooters, ATVs, riding mowers and personal watercraft.
- Spill-proof design means virtually no possibility of leaks
- Advanced lead-calcium technology pumps up starting power
- Sulphation retardant dramatically reduces battery-killing plate sulphation
- Long lasting which means Yuasa’s High Performance Maintenance Free batteries will last up to three times longer than conventional batteries
- Exceptional resistance to vibration makes Yuasa the most reliable battery on the market today
- And, VRLA batteries hold voltage longer and need less charging in standby or storage mode